Friday, August 12, 2011

Lodging Accommodations

One of the things I am looking forward to is the opportunity to enjoy the hospitality and culture of an area of the world I have only dreamed of while watching television shows and movies. It will be through the lodging and food that much of my cultural submersion will occur.

When I arrive in Nairobi on 20August, I will be greeted at the airport by a representative of my host at Ngong House in the suburb of Karen. Located on 10 acres with views of the Ngong Hills made famous in the movie Out of Africa, this seemed like the perfect place to get into the head space of being in Africa and going on safari! (Check out the photos of their tree house accommodations.) They have been very helpful in providing me with a private car & driver for my two days of exploring some of what Nairobi has to offer visitors.

After my first two nights/days in Kenya, I will move to what is the starting point for our group of four the Sarova Stanley Hotel in downtown Nairobi. Long in history (more than 100 years), I anticipate staying here may take visitors back to when Kenya was still a British Colony. The staff offers a historical tour of the hotel which includes photos and artifacts from that era.

During our 12 day/11 night safari, we will be staying in a variety of safari lodges including a couple of tented camps. Each lodge was chosen by our tour operator MICS Tours & Safaris for the close proximity to the game parks/reserves and the value provided to guests. In addition to great locations, all provide all inclusive meals during our stay.

In three locations (Masai Mara, Amboseli and the Serengeti) we will be overnighting for more than one evening, allowing for some additional free time lounging and enjoying the amenities of the lodge. I'm especially looking forward to the swimming pool at the Oltukai Safari Lodge with their stunning views of Mt. Kilimanjaro.

In the "Mara" we will be spending two nights in a traditional safari lodge and a third at the Sarova Mara Game Camp, a tented camp providing guests with a more authentic old world safari experience. In looking at the photos and reviews, however, it hardly looks like roughing it!

Overnights at the Lake Nakuru Lodge and the Voyager Ziwani Safari Camp will round out our time in Kenya.

While in Tanzania, we will be staying at the Serengeti Sopa Lodge, Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge and Lake Manyara Serena Hotel. Each provides a unique vantage point from which to start the day with tea and an early morning game drive. They say the view overlooking the Ngorongoro Crater at sunset is unmatched by any other lodging choice in the area.

With my African Adventure beginning in just a week, I can hardly wait! Look for updates along the way as my Internet connection allows.

No comments:

Post a Comment